Washington, D.C. – Led by Chairman Trent Kelly (R-MS) and Ranking Member Joe Courtney (D-CT), the Subcommittee on Seapower and Projection Forces today released its proposals for the Fiscal Year 2024 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). The Subcommittee will meet at 12:00pm ET on Tuesday, June 13, 2023 in Rayburn 2118. The markup will be live streamed on the committee’s website. The Subcommittee's mark is available here.
Maintains Readiness, Counters China, and Invests in the Defense Industrial Base
- Recommends funding for the procurement of nine battle force ships including two Virginia-class submarines; one Columbia class ballistic missile submarine; two DDG 51 Arleigh Burke destroyers; two guided missile Frigates (FFG); one amphibious transport dock ship (LPD); and one T-AO fleet oiler.
- Recommends full funding for the B-21 Raider program.
- Prevents 3 amphibious vessels and 2 Cruisers from being divested as proposed by the FY24 budget.
- Keeps 271 total C-130 aircraft and blocks Primary mission KC-135 aircraft from being downgraded to backup aircraft inventory for FY24.
- Prohibits Expeditionary Fast Transport vessels from being entered into a reduced operational status and supports greater future involvement in the Indo-Pacific.
- Provide multiyear procurement authority for Virginia Class Submarines and Auxiliary Personnel Lighters (APL).
- Supports shipyard investment and recapitalization efforts by providing for new grant authority.
- Provides increased transparency and accountability to the Annual Shipbuilding Plan.
- Includes multiyear procurement authority for MK-48 torpedoes.
- Supports the purchase of two used sealift vessels for recapitalization of the ready reserve sealift fleet and requires market research of used commercial vessels available for this purpose over the next five years.
- Authorizes appropriations for the Maritime Administration that includes support for the State Maritime Academies, continued authorization of the Maritime Security Program, and continued authorization of the Title XI loan guarantee program for shipyards.
- Includes improvements and clarifications to the Port Infrastructure Development Program administered by the Maritime Administration and authorizes appropriations at the FY24 requested amount.
- Continues oversight of the KC-46A program, particularly the retrofit of the remote visual system.