Washington, D.C. – Led by Chairman Jim Banks (R-IN) and Ranking Member Andy Kim (D-NJ), the Subcommittee on Military Personnel today released its proposals for the Fiscal Year 2024 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). The Subcommittee will meet at 1:00pm ET on Tuesday, June 13, 2023 in Rayburn 2212. The markup will be live streamed on the committee’s website. The Subcommittee's mark is available here.
Servicemember Pay and Benefits
- Supports an increase in military basic pay by 5.2% for servicemembers.
- Authorizes the Secretary of Defense to pay junior enlisted members a monthly bonus as economic conditions dictate.
- Removes the Basic Allowance for Housing from the calculation of Basic Needs Allowance eligibility.
- To address the growing behavioral health demands across the Military Health System, the bill includes several provisions that would:
- Review timelines for provider credentialing and payment processing.
- Explore innovative treatments for clinical depression.
- Increase awareness across DOD to the new 9-8-8 National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
- Requires DOD to study the incidences of cancer among Air Force missileers at Malmstrom, Warrant, and Minot Air Force Bases.
DoD Organizational Reform
- Establishes a Space National Guard limited to those states and territories with Air National Guard units currently performing the space mission.
- Establishes a single military personnel management system for the United States Space Force.
Education, Training, and Other Personnel Policy
- Prohibits the establishment or maintenance of a unit of the Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps at an educational institution owned, operated, or controlled by the Chinese Communist Party.
- Requires an extensive report evaluating the current TAP program.