On December 21, incoming Chairman Buck McKeon issued a statement announcing the chairmen of the Armed Services subcommittees for the 112th Congress.
Compiled of experienced lawmakers, McKeon indicated that his new leadership team will allow the Armed Services Committee to hit the ground running when the gavel opens the 112th Congress.
In his statement, McKeon stressed the importance of a smooth transition from Democratic to Republican leadership: "The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, along with the other pressing national security challenges facing our nation, demand that the Armed Services Committee have a seamless transition and be ready to conduct important business..."
McKeon also praised his new team for their "wealth of experience" and "tremendous knowledge base" on defense issues and specific programs of the military services.
The new subcommittee chairmen for the House Armed Services Committee in the 112th Congress are (in alphabetical order by subcommittee):
- Air and Land Forces – Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, Maryland (bio)
- Military Personnel – Rep. Joe Wilson, South Carolina (bio)
- Oversight and Investigations – Rep. Rob Wittman, Virginia (bio)
- Readiness – Rep. J. Randy Forbes, Virginia (bio)
- Seapower and Expeditionary Forces – Rep. W. Todd Akin, Missouri (bio)
- Strategic Forces – Rep. Michael Turner, Ohio (bio)
- Terrorism, Unconventional Threats and Capabilities – Rep. Mac Thornberry, Texas (bio)