May 21 2013
H.R. 1960 – National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014
WASHINGTON- The House Armed Services Committee today released legislative language scheduled to be considered by the Subcommittee on the Tactical Air and Land Forces at their markup tomorrow. By releasing the legislative language ahead of the mark, Chairman McKeon is complying with House disclosure rules and overseeing the most transparent process in Congress for composing national security legislation. >> Read the Tactical Air and Land Forces Subcommittee Mark.
Led by subcommittee Chairman Michael Turner (R-OH), the proposal provides equipment needed to support our forces in combat, active, Guard, and Reserve.
The proposal will:
- Prevent premature retirement of Global Hawk block 30 unmanned aircraft and requires the Secretary of the Air Force to take all actions necessary to maintain the operational capability of the block 30 Global Hawks through December 31st, 2016.
- Require the Secretary of Defense to create a separate procurement budget line item, within each military service procurement account, for personal protection equipment including body armor.
- Authorize the Secretary of Defense to conduct a study to improve personal protection equipment, including body armor, with emphasis on creating more effective protection equipment for female service members.
- Prohibit the Army from funding the next stage of the Ground Combat Vehicle development (the Army's top modernization program) until the Secretary of the Army submits a status report to congressional defense committees.
- Fully fund the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program and require the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition to create an independent team of experts to review the software program, and submit a report to congressional defense committees by March 3, 2014.
- Require the Secretary of the Army to submit a report on an investment strategy to improve the fuel efficiency of the M1 Abrams tank.
- Require an assessment of vulnerabilities to tactical data link systems, specifically in an anti-access or area-denial environment.
- Require the Secretary of Defense to develop a plan for the future role of the Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization (JIEDDO).
Recent Press Releases
|8/28/14||McKeon, Turner Statement on Reports of Russian Troops in Ukraine|
|8/27/14||Chairman McKeon Statement on ISIS|
|8/21/14||McKeon Calls for Leak Investigation Around Foley Rescue Attempt|